Sunday 27 February 2011

The Simple and the Complex of Texting

What ever happened to the good old telephone? I know personally that I feel awkward picking up a telephone and calling my best friend. How on earth can this be? We have grown up in a society that text over 100 TIMES A DAY! I'm not saying this is a bad thing, I am simply saying there is more to it than just a text. So now that texting has become the number one form of communication, perhaps we should all take a look at what we send and come up with some texting etiquette for ourselves.
1. Say things in text nicer than when you would say it in person. Not having the expression in someone's voice can lead to people being offended or hurt by what you have said. On the other hand, try not to add a voice to a text, it is just that- words.
2. Always check to make sure you are sending the text to the right person. This has led to some pretty uncomfortable situations for me. Perhaps don't use last names in your phone directory. Sending a text message to your boyfriends mom about anything remotely intimate is just wrong.
3. Do not text while drinking. Phones should have a breathalyzer attached to them. Some of the worst, most confrontational, offensive, hurtful text messages have come out after I have had a couple drinks. Turn your phone off. Nobody wants to received a rude text with horrid spelling at 3am.
"Just thohagt u slud know ut not wecomle at my ranty" 
Yeah ok drunky, go have another one and call me in the morning.
4. Say what you mean, do not try to beat around the bush. I am the worst for this. I will send two words so that someone will have to read into my text and interpret what I might be saying. Maybe I want them to be uncomfortable for 10 minutes until I send the next one, but I know its wrong.

Help me create a texting etiquette. We all know this is never going to change. Let's use texting to our benefit, its a simple way to let someone know you are thinking about them. We can even send texts into the future. What do I mean? 
This is the text I had sitting on my phone when I woke up this morning, with my fiance sleeping beside me:
"Hey beautiful, good morning. Just wanted you to wake up with a smile on your face. I love you"
I do not think it's possible for me to have a bad day today :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment